Librarian as Teacher: Information literacy in special libraries, or, how to secretly teach people things

When I was in library school I learned that information literacy is something that is taught in classes and seminars, by professional librarians to small or large groups of clients. While the content of information literacy training varied, what was made clear in the model I was presented with was that a client knew when they were being taught information literacy.

However my first few jobs were in special libraries, in corporate environments. I found the difference between information literacy theory and practice very wide. Staff members, my clients, were not going to give 30 minutes or an hour of their time to ‘learn information literacy’ – not the least because they had been doing their jobs well before I came along, what did I have to teach them?

http://interlibnet.org/2015/09/29/librarian-as-teacher-information-literacy-in-special-libraries-or-how-to-secretly-teach-people-things/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ICTs and HIV/AIDS Literacy: Appropriate tools and applications for an effective information dissemination service for Zimbabwean libraries

Infopreneurship: Solutions for the unemployed LIS aspirants

Open Source Open Access: a Hot Library Combo